The team at Pest Control Services has been serving the Idaho community since 1970 and dealing with a wide variety of pests in that time. Termites are one of those nasty little pests that can leave your home in ruins.
Luckily, we’ve learned a lot about termites, and all of our knowledge can help you prevent your home from becoming or staying infested. In this post, we’ll update you on everything you need to know. So stick with us.
Ensure There Aren’t Already Termites in Your Home.
Before you learn how to prevent or exterminate them, it’s a good idea to find out if they’re already present in your home. If you see one or more of the following, then you may have termites:
- In early spring or after a heavy rainfall, winged termites swarming.
- Seeing dead termites or wings from swarmers.
- Accumulation of dirt resulting from mud tubes.
- Warped doors or floors.
- Holes in wood.
- Baseboards or floors that sound hollow.
How To Prevent Termites.
If you’re confident that you don’t have any termites, then you’re probably looking to keep it that way. We understand that more than most, so let’s break down good practices to keep these pests away:
- Termites love the plants you keep outside. We know you do too. However, those plants offer great opportunities for the termites to cover up their damages, and they’ll even use them as a bridge to enter your home. Leave a good distance between your outdoor plants and your home.
- Termites may swarm in early spring for a number of reasons, but mainly to scout out a new home. To prevent them from picking yours, keep outdoor lights off at night and relocate them to areas away from doors and windows.
- Many termites in the United States are subterranean, so it can help to limit the amount of wood making contact with soil. That will give them fewer chances to climb up and feed on your home.
- Properly vent all attics, crawlspaces, and basements. Humidity in these spaces attracts termites.
- Lastly, ensure there aren’t gaps in your home that could allow entry. Look out for windows and doors.
What To Do if You Have Termites.
If you’ve looked at the list and discovered you have termites, then what can you do?
There are no home remedies that can eliminate termites. The only way to keep them from destroying your home is to seek help from professionals. Our team at Pest Control Services are those professionals.
We have the experience, knowledge, and gear to keep your home safe from irreparable damage. Call us today.